Note: The contents of this document are subject to change without notice. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Connecting Remotely to Concordia Services
In the event that you have to work from home, you can access most of Concordia's services through our web portal, home.concordia.ab.ca
Services that can be accessed from this portal include (1) email, (2) Online Services, (3) Moodle, (4) payroll information, and (5) Alfresco, among other things. A snapshot of the page is provided below.
These Concordia services can also be accessed using the following alternative URLs:
Staff and student email
Avanti (Payroll Information)
Using Google Meet & Chat
Google Meet & Chat are communication tools that is part of the Google suite of products that Concordia University of Edmonton uses. The two main services, Google Meet and Google Chat, are aimed at enterprise communication, combining audio- and video-conferencing capabilities.
Please see the following page for instructions on using Meet rooms and Chat for communication with coworkers and course delivery:
Using Google Meet & Chat
We also offer reviews of some Chrome extensions that are designed to enhance your use of Google Meet:
What Chrome Extensions are available to help with Google Meet course delivery?
Using other remote connection options
If your work requires access to some specialized software such as Blackbaud applications or our Student Information System, you will need to have remote access enabled so you can connect to those applications from your own personal computer. This can be initiated by supervisors making a request to IT Services at email@example.com
Once access is granted, you will be provided with further instructions from IT Services to connect to our campus servers including a step-by-step guide. If you've already been set up with access and need assistance connecting from your home computer, please contact the IT Services Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 780 479 9316.
Remote Work Reminders
The use of a CUE-issued laptop or device to perform your duties is the best way to get yourself started for remote work. However, if you are using your own personal device to do your work, it is best to remember a few safety tips.
- As a general rule, whether using a CUE-issued device or a personal one, secure your home router by changing it's default password, and also it's default network name (SSID).
- As much as possible, use separate devices for work and personal use. This minimizes the possibility that if a device is compromised on personal use, work activities done on that device could be compromised, as well.
- Keep your operating system up-to-date. This will mitigate any vulnerabilities that can may come up from time to time. This goes the same for keeping your other installed software up-to-date.
- Make sure your device has the auto lock feature turned on. After a period of inactivity, your machine will go into sleep mode. But, as an added precautionary measure, never leave your device unattended.
- Avoid the use of public charger kiosks. You never know who/what is on the other side of that charger cable.
- Make sure files are not locally stored on your device's hard drive, but rather stored on the network drives mapped to each employee or to your Google Drive.
- Email should not be used to send confidential information. If you have to send a document that contains sensitive information, send it as a password-protected document. The password must never be sent together with the email; it must be communicated over to the receiving party by phone or by any other methods that does not involve email. The best ways to share files are through your shared drives or Google Drive.
- When logging in to Online Services, Moodle or to your email, make sure that the login page is as shown below, and that the URL starts with identify.concordia.ab.ca/
- Employee passwords are expired after 60 days, and need to be changed. An email reminder to password expiry is sent 7, 3 and 1 day before the expiry date of the password. Passwords can be reset remotely through Online Services. For more information on this, please contact email@example.com
- The reuse of passwords used in the past year is not allowed.
- The use of strong passwords is enforced on all CUE services. Passwords have a minimum requirement of an 8-character count, with a combination of capital/small letters, numbers and special characters. Passwords that uses common words or those that are related to an individual, such as their address, birthday, or family member names, are highly discouraged.
- The use of 2-factor authentication on CUE services that allow for it is highly encouraged.